Moderated by: planeguy
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 08:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
josh1966

kay here's the deal I'm actually new to Texas and I was talking to a friend of mine mark at Promax diesel and he recommended that I come on here and try to figure out my problem so here's what I got its a 94 351 Windsor punched a 393 stroker with a comp roller cam stock roller lifters and comp roller rockers runs on a GM HEI distributor has Victor jr intake 625 demon carb and after market workd products Windsor sr. Heads

Issue is I did the cam swap on it because the old cam was not making enough power or at least I felt it wasn't and in the process of doing so somewhere in the ignition or fuel Systems it has gone awry its not running right it will rev all the way up but you can't get on the gas quick you gotta slowly give it thottle and its not pulling very well at all off y he lineĀ 

I didn't know if anybody give me some advice or somebody I can take it to or I'm willing to pay somebody under the table work on it or list teach me too I'm just frustrated with things and I'm ready to drive my car again

So if any one has helpful info it would be very appreciated

Thanks for any reply

Attachment: 20140130_190149.jpg (Downloaded 14 times)

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 08:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
6MACH9
Administrator

Does it run smoothly otherwise or what happens if you punch it does it just bog down or misfire or just slowly gain speed. Have you checked what the timing is doing with a lite while it is speeding up, the advance may not be working, Hate to say you may need to check the cam timing and degree it as some cams come screwed up.

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 09:13 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
josh1966

it was misfiring for a while but I think that I got that taken care of now it just bogs really bad unless I give it throttle real slow....as far as the timing is concerned I've disconnected the vacuum advance to try to time it and it only seems to want to run in one particular spot it doesn't change if I move distributor it'll just died

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 09:13 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
josh1966

it was misfiring for a while but I think that I got that taken care of now it just bogs really bad unless I give it throttle real slow....as far as the timing is concerned I've disconnected the vacuum advance to try to time it and it only seems to want to run in one particular spot it doesn't change if I move distributor it'll just died

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 09:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
6MACH9
Administrator

You should have a 15 deg swath that you could turn it and the rpm will go up and down
Need to put a light on it, what did you find was causing the misfire, It is also very easy to get the distrib 180 out and it will run but very badly

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 09:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
josh1966

I was kind of thinking that something might be 180 degrees out unfortunately I can't put a timing light on this car because I was forced to remove the timing tab because of the electric water pump so now I just time it would tie me up against it where should go it just can't be bolted on to use the timing light....the misfire was Abad wire jumpin spark into another wire

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 09:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
6MACH9
Administrator

Can you hold the timing mark plate up to the motor and mark where zero is on some other close area that will work the same?

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 10:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
josh1966

Not when its running thats jus dangerous and iresponablel ....ok lets do that lol

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 10:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
josh1966

I turned the distb. 180 from where it was and now it wont even try to fire

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 11:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
josh1966

Now ive put the distb back in the original post. And now it revs faster than before and I can giveit more throttle faster I just can't go from idol to wide open when I do it backfires the carburetor but if I double tap the gas and then go wide open it revs like normal and sounds strong

Posted: Mon May 5th, 2014 01:47 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
6MACH9
Administrator

It still sounds like a timing or combination of timing and mixture, Did it run fine before the cam work. I did not say to hold the tab there with the motor running I said to hold it there and mark the spot somewhere on the motor where you could use it as a reference.

Posted: Mon May 5th, 2014 02:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
josh1966

I knew what ya ment jus given you a hard time.....I agree I think the time is still off a bit I was talkin to a friend of mine and he was thinkin I may need to degree the cam but I have never done that and im not really shure where to start with that eather is any body have any thoughts or information on it also is any body running the same cam (see attached for spec) and had to do the same?

Attachment: IMG_0038.png (Downloaded 7 times)

Posted: Mon May 5th, 2014 03:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
6MACH9
Administrator

That may help. I am not sharp on degreeing cams but several of the members are. The club meeting is Tuesday the 6th and I am sure some of those guys will be there. It is at Traditions In Tyler. If you are hungry come at 6:30 meeting starts at 7:00.

Posted: Mon May 5th, 2014 04:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
josh1966

Ill b there

Posted: Tue May 6th, 2014 11:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
josh1966

Sorry man I am not going to be able to attend the meeting I got off work and drove here as fast as I could and decided im way to dirty to go in to that nice of a place...... I blame this thing on my trailer

Attachment: 1399420450500.jpg (Downloaded 6 times)

Current time is 08:37 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems